Saturday, July 26, 2014

Stay at Home Date Night.


I remember when I was a kid flipping through photobooks my mother made and finding a picture of her sitting at the kitchen table which had been pulled into the living room in front of the fireplace.  The table was covered in white linen.  She was all dressed up and there were candles lit.  It occurred to me then that life didn't stop after I went to bed.  Many years later, I have come to appreciate that photo.  On special occasions when we just can't seem to get out of the house, carving that time for the two of us as a couple is sometimes so hard to do, but so necessary. 

Last year our anniversary went by unremarkably with promises we made to ourselves to celebrate when life got less crazy.  But the truth of the matter is that life won't ever stop being full-throttle.  You just have to find time to stand still in the middle of it all.  So to celebrate our anniversary this year, we set up our own little space for just the two of us.  And with lit candles, music playing, fresh cut flowers, dessert and champagne, it sort of felt like we had displaced ourselves from our own home and were sitting in a quiet upscale restaurant where we could talk as long as we wanted.  It was so lovely, we might just have to do it again sometime!


I know, I know, we are sort of cheesy right?  Tell me you'd do it too though... you know you would.  We'll save our Toronto restaurant exploring for another year I guess.

You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment