Monday, July 14, 2014

The Muskokas.


Last week, I went road trippin' solo-parenting with the car packed so right you couldn't fit a toothpick in. Two littles, one pooch, and a crazy mama jacked up on caffeine and Cliff bars heading for the Muskokas to spend some time with my inlaws.

On Saturday, I loaded up the car with a week's supply of survival goods.  Thanks to my mom and dad, who packed a sedan with three kids for two weeks of driving across the country camping, I picked up a thing or two about how to organize your gear when traveling and how to pack a trunk efficiently.  I am proud to say that once I was done, you wouldn't have managed to load in an extra toothpick.  So with thethe littles tucked in cozy in their seats and the dog squished between them, we took hit the road at nap time, hoping for clear sailing.  Wouldn't you know that neither of them really napped, but somehow we managed to drive nearly three hours without any major hiccups and I only had to threaten to turn around and go home once.  How to keep a toddler happy on the road?  Trucks and Snacks!  Let me tell you, I just kept passing them back all the way there.  Eat up kiddo!  I also think he must have been going through a growth spurt too. 

The weather looked like it was going to be great!  Well, despite all my efficient and well-organized packing, how could a mama forget to pack clothing for three days of rain?  We had major cabin fever--no beads or memory games or movies or wrestling, books or playdoh or eating and eating and eating could ease the unrest.  We stared out the window, wishing the downpour away.  Fortunately, the Bible camp we were staying at had a number of amenities, including a little hub we could hang out at and a nursery for the children to play in an hour a day with other littles ones if we wanted.


Eventually we just gave up and went outside anyway, and walked in the rain regardless.  Despite the winds and cold temperatures, we went to the beach with pants and sweaters and a huge pile of towels to keep us warm.  The water was warm and actually very good for swimming.   We dug trenches and moats and canals to sandcastles and helped Gabriel fill them with water.  It seemed to never get old.  "Here it comes!" Gabriel would shout as he chased the water down the canal back to the lake over and over day after day. Even Maggie got in on the warmer days and sat at the water's edge arms up in the air wiggling her fingers and toes and squealing with delight.


 A little unsure at first perhaps.

Much to everyone's delight, Jordan joined us for the weekend.  And it was Daddy everything.  We missed you!

I'm a believer that babies express emotions with their toes.  They wiggle them with delight while eating and scrunch them up when they are cold. 


In in the evenings, either Opa or Grandpa would be cohersed into kicking the ball.  Who could resist a little blonde boy coming to you, "Oh Bumpa, come-a kick-a ball?"  And off they would go to pass the soccer ball back in forth.  Quite a sight to see an 85 year old great-grandfather, Opa, passing the ball back and forth.  Such memories we made!



Anyone knows that traveling with littles is always an adventure and sleep is sometimes optional.  Sleeping arrangements are strange and routines are thrown off despite your best efforts.  It usually means less sleep for everyone and little bit more crankiness but it's still worth it, (I tell myself on the good days).  One morning I found Gabriel in my room I was sharing with Magdalene.  He had sneaked in, unbeknownst to me, and climbed up into her baby cot.  He was sitting there as chipper as a little bird at 5:45 in the morning holding her hand and waving her arm in the air.  "Hi Mama! Hi Maggie! Sun up!"

It really was such a lovely week, despite any lack of sleep, despite crankiness.  For the two kids to spend time with their great-grandparents and grandparents was really special.  It was so neat to see Magadelene make herself quite comfortable with them, giggling and cooing and whooping with delight.  I feel like our once delicate little Maggie is turning quite strong and curious and a bit mischievous too I might add.  After all, she has a big brother to contend with.  Oh boy, I'm going to have my hands full with these two!




You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment