Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Shopping Date: The OOAK!


A major value at Christmas is the idea of giving, right?  Some think of baby Jesus coming to earth, giving hope and redemption. Or of the wise men who heard of the birth of the King brought gifts to celebrate his birth and to thank him for coming.  For others it is Santa and his bag full of gifts for all the children all over the world.  Still some, it is simply time together with family eating and taking time from the busy aspects of life, perhaps a few sharing of gifts.  And so, we each pass on our various traditions on from year to year, from generation to generation.

I like to spend a lot of time thinking about each person on my Christmas list.  What do they want? What do they need?  What they would appreciate, find funny etc?  Some years I have made things that I thought were meaningful.  But over the years, I have tried to make an effort, not only to give but to be more thoughtful in my giving.  What I mean is, buying a gift can be giving two ways.  When you purchase something locally made, not only are you giving a gift to a friend or relative, but also you are giving back to your community, to a man or woman who works in maybe their home studio, carving and creating with thought and care on something that they are passionate about.

As a new small business owner, I can most certainly appreciate that.  And am deeply grateful to the people in my community who have supported me this fall.  Without friends and referrals, Magnolia Coasts would not be what it is.  And as that small business owner, I take much pride and expend great energy and creative powers on what I do.  I work on sets, think about the families before they arrive and plan accordingly, work with them on the set and then think about them as I work on their photos--how they met, where they come from, etc.  Much the same as a person making a bowl might wonder how that bowl is being used, where it sits most of the time and about the family that uses it.  Have you ever thought of that?  The artists wonder about you.   I speak with some amount of understanding in this.

The One of a Kind Show celebrates creative artists, small business owners not all that unlike myself, (although with usually many more years of experience).  My mother-in-law, Magdalene and I made a date of it and went for the whole day this weekend to walk around, talk to shop owners, get to know them a little bit (which of course you do, if you go back to the same booths each year).  You see the new artists who are maybe there for the first time, you meet familiar faces of artists who have been there for many years. I even had a few artists give me cards to send photos of their shops to them, which was fun for me.

So, this is what Toronto has to offer, but it is not the only way to "give back."  Similar ideas exist, have existed and are popping all over, in large and small cities alike--markets, craft fairs, locally produced and sold products.  And if they aren't, well, the ever increasingly popular way to buy "locally" is through Etsy--a virtual artist market where you can buy directly from the artist/producer and ship wherever you want.  Some of our most beautiful things have come this way.  So, this year, think "local," shop local and support small businesses if and whenever you can.  It can be your way of giving back.  And it sure makes a huge difference.



Pottery with the Junction as the design.  I so love having our city, our country incorporated into art in sometimes not so obvious ways.


I am always impressed and was again this year.  Well done One of Kind Toronto.  Well done!  Today is the last day.  So get out there if you haven't already.  And if you didn't get a chance, well, there is always Etsy!

You might also like: 

No comments:

Post a Comment