Saturday, October 20, 2012

Old Town Alexandria: The Torpedo Factory


Fall has hit Virginia in all of its golden yellows and some occasional firey reds, along with some slightly cooler, although still quite muggy weather with the odd day of rain.  It's simply beautiful here!

In lieu of hitting downtown DC (and its innumerable Smithsonian museums and monuments), we opted for more exploration of downtown old Alexandria and well-reputed, and locally recommended Torpedo Factory, an old war-time factory converted into studios of local Virginian artists.  It is most similar to Granville Island except that all the studios are in one building with three floors--everything from pottery to paintings to metallic arts and jewelry.

Being both (or all) art fanatics, we wandered around exploring each of the studios.  I think Gabriel must have the art bug just like us.  He sounded like I felt.  Something happens to me when I enter art studios.  It's like a bubbles welling up in my throat and a flutter in my stomach as I try to contain my excitement.  It's difficult to explain but I sort of feel like a hummingbird flitting around perching myself lightly for a moment at each piece before speeding off to take in as much as I can. Gabriel must have been feeling the same thing--he was completely buzzing but his excitement was more vocal.  The inside of the factory was a kind of artsy, less opulent cathedral that resonated with each whoop of Gabriel's exuberance. It was definitely well worth the visit and I am sure there will be some return visits in our future.

What gets you buzzing?

No comments:

Post a Comment