Thursday, April 2, 2015

The (Generally) Toddler Approved Chicken Soup

The (Generally) Toddler Approved Chicken Soup


My children like strange things, I think.  So I hardly ever use them as the tester for foods I'd suggest to other people.  But this soup is one that I have tried on many friends' children as they sit around our table for lunch and it comes back nearly 100% approved.  Best of all, it's really easy.  The most important ingredient really is the pesto, a trick that I learned from my mother-in-law.  It gives it that beautiful savory flavour and just enough zip for the adults at the table.

1 whole chicken carcass cooked
4-6 cups chicken stock
1/2 onion chopped
1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
1 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup fresh chopped green beans
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 carrots
1+ Tbsp pesto

1. After we have a chicken dinner, I always save the bones to make soup by simmering for a couple of hours, and removing and tossing the bones.   But if you are in a hurry, don't bother boiling the bones, just chopped off pieces of chicken from one that is cooked.
2.  Add more stock to the pot, chopped onion, bits of chicken leftover, rice, peas, beans, corn, carrots and pesto to taste.
3.  Make sure to leave enough room for the rice to expand in the pot.  Simmer for 20 minutes until rice is soft enough to eat.
4.  Serve with various cheeses, crackers, fresh bread and butter.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment