Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Adventures of a Birth Photographer


Never in a million years did I think I would have the chance to photograph a birth.  Even when my friend, Sam asked me to photograph hers I couldn't believe it would actually happen.  Not only to be witness to such an incredible event, other than being at my own children's births, but also to document it for their family and for all posterity.  I have to admit I was a bit nervous of the whole thing. 

In the days leading up to baby Indi's birth, I felt sort of like a midwife myself, waiting for a call to run off into the night to deliver a baby.  There was an afternoon we were sure the baby would come.  My friend Lucy and I, having put our kiddies to nap under the same roof, sat having tea and felt a little like this is what neighbors used to do.  Where were our socks to darn and knitting to be done while we waited to hear of a baby's soon arrival?

Sure enough it was a false alarm and the baby arrived nearly a week later, with a phone call at 4:45 in the morning and a delivery a mere two hours later in a birthing pool in my friend's living room--a home birth, a water birth, a long-wished for fulfilled birthing dream for my friend, Sam. How amazing to bear witness to such a thing.

How can I explain in words what I witnessed that morning in the dim light of their living room, sun not yet up, candles lit and low lights?  The birth was calm, serene, albeit intense, to be sure.  As the moment drew near, I could hardly believe the baby was making his way out and to the surface of the water so quietly and unassumingly.  There was no panic, no urgency, just a beautiful work of a mother bringing new life into this world from the shallow depths of a birthing pool surrounded by the closest of family and friends.  It was simply the most beautiful thing I have ever seen unfold in front of my eyes and I am still in awe at the wonder, the rawness, the intensity, the beauty of birth.

Sam's experience certainly wasn't my own birthing experience, as unique as each woman, each child itself is.  But it was beautiful and complex and intense just the same.  Somehow in watching and documenting Sam's delivery, I feel like it became part of my own story.  Watching a birth changes you each time.  To echo the words of my birth doula, with whom I shared a short exchange last evening.  "It humbles you, grounds you" and allows you to stand still for just a moment, admire the strength and endurance the human body and take in the beauty of newborn life.

For more pictures, visit: http://www.magnoliacoastsphotography.com/#!birth-photography/c8qu.  All pictures are shared with the approval of the mother, Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment