Sunday, April 12, 2015

A Late Birthday Post


I always think that a birthday is a really good time to reflect on the accomplishments of the past year, look back on how much growth and development has happened and set new personal goals.  It's a practice I do each year.  Well, maybe each year since I turned 25.

Wow, the past year I feel like was a huge jump.  I don't feel "old" but I certainly feel like a lot more than a year's worth of stuff and aging has happened.   Did I really just say that?  I don't think I have ever been so sleep-deprived in my life.  I actually have no idea people could function with so little sleep....  It's been a year of tremendous growth for me.  No one ever told me that children simultaneously expose all your flaws and make you a better person at the same time.  They play the role of both champion and foil.  And what tremendous amount of compassion is required in this relationship from all sides--me in my mistakes, and my children in theirs as we all learn together.

There have been so many wonderful things I have learned this year.  I've also learned how important and essential it is to have something you are passionate about in your life (other than your children and husband).  Be it yoga, or painting, soccer or blogging.... I love my children endlessly.  They are my life.  But discovering something I am passionate about, something I am literally addicted to has been such an invigorating experience.  It has allowed me to put my energies somewhere and into something beautiful other than my children.  And somehow I see that as a healthy thing not to be fretting over the little details of my children's lives.  I love how spending a little bit of time away from my children renews our bond when we see each other again.  And I love how the energy I get from doing something I love comes back to me as a mother, a wife and a friend.  It breathes new life into these relationships.

I still believe in celebrating my birthday with friends and family. I really do like embracing every occasion to celebrate with people I love.  So I had a few girlfriends over for cake and champagne.  We popped some bubbly in the backyard and sat around talking about how our daughters would change the world until nearly midnight.  And as if to celebrate the occasion, I was out of bed at 4:45 am the next morning to photograph the labour and delivery of my dear friend's new baby boy!  I sort of felt like that was an amazing birthday gift to witness and take part in and will be sharing a few pictures on the blog in the days to come. 


Thank you all my friends and family for the birthday wishes.  For your messages, texts, emails, phone calls and for your endless source of support over this past year.  It was a tremendously full year.  Looking forward to this one ahead of me.

You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment