Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Off-road: A Mother's Day Adventure.


If I told you what we got up to this Mother's Day, you might look at me like this.  The rain was pouring when I woke up on Mother's Day at 3:45 am.  And I was missing Jordan.  Admittedly, I was feeling rather un-motherish and a tad glum.  But around noon, in through the door came these two crazy wonderful people, flower in hand, with shouts of "Happy Mother's Day!!!!"  They whizzed up an amazing indoor picnic lunch complete with BLTs (my personal favorite), potato salad, watermelon and San Pelegrino.  And then we rushed out the door for the most unconventional Mother's Day I am sure I will ever experience and Gabriel's first "Uncle Harrison Adventure": off-roading through the mountains at Britannia Beach!!!   That's what I love about these two--high energy and always ready for adventure.


A whole posse of us took off in trucks up into the dirt roads, rough with big boulders through the heavy fog and mist.  We drove past a massive waterfall and then up to an old mining "village" which mostly consists of dilapidated structures of a community that 'used to be.' 


Gabriel took this opportunity to plunk himself down in the middle of a hug puddle at the very beginning of this four hour off-roading adventure.  But luckily our friend Tina came to the rescue with another set of clothing.


We must have explored almost every road as far as we could go, but we never got to the top.  But somehow that didn't matter.  It was more about finding some of the most difficult terrain and then finding the best way to tackle it.  I am starting to really catch on to this "boy" mentality.  I see it in Gabriel all the time.  He'll do something new and hurt himself and then go right back at it when another strategy over and over and over until he masters it.  So humorous to witness such feats of physical prowess and then recognize it in my son.  Already.  What am I in for?


And well, that's Squamish.  It doesn't get any more authentic than that--off-roading on Mother's Day.  Ok, I'll take it.

Ps. I am a little bit worried Gabriel might be an adrenaline junkie.  Did I mention that when I was pregnant with him I did my first off-roading adventure?  And I was driving.

You might also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment