Friday, March 22, 2013

New Favorite Cookie: Salty Chocolate Oat


So the other day when I was in Dupont Circle with Gabriel, we stopped in to Teaism, a tea place just off the circle.  We had some very very delicious Salty Chocolate Oat cookies while there and decided that I needed to see if I could get my hands on the recipe.  After a short google, I stumbled across this post by Emily who worked hard to recreate the recipe. I take zero credit.

Salty Chocolate Oat Cookies

3/4 cup butter
2 oz bittersweet chocolate (I used Lindt 85%)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/4 cup dutch cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Morton Kosher salt
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup unsweetned flaked coconut.
3/4 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate (I used chopped callebaut)

1) Melt butter and bittersweet chocolate together. Add sugars and combine.

2) When cool enough, add in both eggs and vanilla.

3) Meanwhile, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl -- add to the wet ingredients and mix to combine.

4) Add the rolled oats and coconut and mix, then finally add the chopped chocolate.

5) Chill dough for at least a half hour -- while oven preheats to 375.

6) Place golf-ball sized hunks of dough on a baking sheet with silpat, and flatten slightly (dough balls should still be quite thick).

7) Sprinkle tops with more kosher salt and coarse sugar (I used Sugar in the Raw).

8) Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes -- they shouldn't be browned too much, so that they don't dry out...

And I have to say that she did a pretty good job.  There are a new favorite in our house, even over any of Giada's cookie recipes.  Sorry Giada!

No comments:

Post a Comment