Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Orange Cranberry Walnut Bread


 Orange Cranberry Walnut Bread

When I was pregnant with Gabriel, my good friend Dori made some of this bread for me.  It was one of the only things I could eat for the first 14 weeks.  And I was so incredibly thankful when she gave me the recipe.  I found myself a breadmaker on loan for awhile before finally getting my own for Christmas one year.  Now this bread is a staple in our house and I likely make it once a week.  The old recipe from Dori didn't work in my new breadmaker, but I adapted this one to make it taste just the same.  Thanks Dori!!  **A special note about breadmakers...  if you don't have one but would like to buy one, don't splurge.  Unless you have special dietary needs, just get a regular old basic Black & Decker, nothing fancy. 

2 large eggs
1 cup water
1/2 cup cranberry juice (pure is best, but others will do)
1/4 cup marmalade
1/4 cup dry skim milk powder
3 Tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter cut into pieces
5 cups bread flour
2 1/12 tsp of bread machine yeast
1 cup cranberries
1/3 chopped walnuts (pecans will also work)

1. Insert bread pan securely into bread machine and plug in.
2. Put all ingredients in bread machine in order listed (except cranberries and walnuts), making sure to level off each tsp or cup with a flat edge knife.  *Measurements must be exact for bread.
3.  Select "Sweet" setting and size of loaf (3lbs) and crust colour and press start.
4.  Listen for beep indicating "Add ingredient" and add cranberries and nuts.
5. Do not open bread machine until completed.  Once completed, remove pan from the machine and let it set for about 20 minutes before removing from the pan and serving.

This is one of those breads that Gabriel LOVES!  Sometimes I feel like it's hard to get the carbs in those kids that they need.  Having a breadmaker helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment