Wednesday, October 15, 2014

A Lot to be Thankful For.


Having just landed in from Newfoundland after a lovely/crazy/adventurous week away, we were too tired to grocery shop last Sunday evening.  So Monday we found ourselves with an empty fridge.  Of course, almost all grocery stores are closed on Thanksgiving Monday, but we did finally come across a Rabba that was open and purchased what we could to create a little makeshift Thanksgiving dinner WITHOUT a turkey.  It was either that, or ordering Indian food, which, although tasty, may be a bit unconventional for the holiday.  We did manage to put together all the fixings including a homemade french baguette and pumpkin pie and it felt just like a Thanksgiving day should.

Aside from the traditional things we are thankful for, family, friends, happy marriage, healthy kids and all the various other blessings we focus on not taking for granted, there are some special, more recent things I am thankful for this year:

1) The birth and growth of our beautiful Magdalene Grace.  Although the transition to having two children has been harder than I expected, having this sweet, cheery darling in our lives is beyond-words a blessing of enormous proportions.  I cannot imagine life without you, Maggie!  And now it's your first Thanksgiving.  How time has flown!

2) Jordan finishing his Masters.  Ok, not quite there yet, but so close I can taste it.  Wow, finally four years of toiling will have come to an end.  Phew!  What ever are you going to do with all your free time?

3)  Our most recent trip to Newfoundland that really exceeding my expectations.  I cannot remember even once thinking about sleeping in my own bed at home or the kids sleeping in their own beds, despite the fact we were on a pull-out coach, had to give up our bed for Gabriel, borrow other people's washrooms once Magdalene was asleep in our bathroom and, despite all that, be up several times a night with both!  It was 100% worth it!  Having traveled with the littles a lot, we knew it would be a little bit crazy, (isn't it always the way with young children) but we just chose to lean into it and embrace the adventure/chaos of it all.  So glad we did!!

4) Second to that, I was so glad that no one got seriously sick or hurt while away.  The kids got scratchy throats and runny noses but nothing that stopped us from flying.  Unfortunately, I took a serious tumble on the slippery rocks at the beach while trying to pull an Ansel Adams meets Dancing with the Stars while taking some shots of the new happy couple.  Sadly, my camera took the brunt of the fall, and meant that I had to buy, yet again, another new lens.  :(  And I banged up both knees and boast a wicked "sw'elbow."  But nothing that couldn't be fixed.....

5) The friends we've met since coming to Toronto--in particular my moms groups both through the church and in our community.  What would I do without you?????  I feel like this year has really shaken my beliefs about parenthood and raising children.  But your words of advice, your encouragement and stories have helped me to keep some perspective.

6) New ventures!  I'm excited to have the support of family and friends in some new ventures.  It is exciting and a little bit nerve-wracking at the same time, to focus on building a bit of a small business.  But I am thankful to have the luxury to follow my passions and a husband who supports me in finding and developing what I love.


Hope your Thanksgiving was a good weekend of relaxation, good food and a time to reflect on the many blessings, less we become complacent and take for granted the gifts we've been given.

You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment