Wednesday, September 10, 2014

First Days.


See this smile?  That's the smile of a boy who has just started nursery school and is pretty happy about it.  The funny thing is that when I envisioned Gabriel starting school, I always pictured it at about five years of age and I would be a big weepy mess as I let him go, where he would be spending more hours with teachers and peers than us here at home.  You know how it is with your first, you get to watch their entire world unfold, language develop in the tiniest microscopic ways so that you know nearly every detail--when "mamamamam" becomes "mama" and when scribbles turn into airplanes.  When for the first time, they draw a short line and declare it a "one."  So it is sort of strange leaving him with someone else and then not seeing all of that happen any more in the same way everyday.    But I guess that's also a good thing.  I think a little bit of independence is healthy.  

The first day of school, I made him a big breakfast of bacon and eggs and afterwards an ice cream at our favorite little bakery, Cordi's.  (As an aside, they make the MOST AMAZING gelato.  I felt like I was back in Italy).  We made it into a big deal and talked about how fun it was going to be and how he would get to see his friends and make new ones.  Let me tell you, this kid loves school.  On days he doesn't attend, he asks if he is going.  The night before his second day of school, he could barely get to sleep for all his excitement.  He woke up several times at night and came into our room.  "Stool?" with dozy excitement.  "Not yet, honey.  Tomorrow."  "Tomorrow," he'd say with resignation.  He's so proud with his little backpack and his little boots he wears especially for school.  He puts it on himself and clips the straps across his chest. 

How are mama and papa?  We are doing just fine.  And more than anything, just so pleased to see him so excited and loving this new chapter in his life.  And I have to say, I am also enjoying the extra hot cup of coffee, spend some quality mama-baby time with Maggie, have time to prepare supper in advance and a little bit of time to myself while Magdalene naps.  There are always a few tears at first when I leave Gabriel there, but then he always has a great time.  I take that as a positive  sign.  Although, he loves school, he also still needs me sometimes.  And that's a good feeling. 

Loving school is something I hope continues for our little guy.  I know I didn't always love school, particularly in those middle years.  I don't think I was nearly as social as Gabriel. (I know.... hard to believe).  But both my husband and I sure did love learning and still do.  I have always had fond memories of those early years.  It's those special caring teachers that really make a difference.


You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment