Wednesday, October 30, 2013

This Little Belly (30 weeks)


It's hard to believe that 30 weeks have come and gone.  And really, our baby girl's birth date seems so close. I think for both of us the reality of this pregnancy seems more palpable this time, the certainty that at the end of this nine month journey, an incredible little creature will be a part of our lives and the center of our attention.   And while Gabriel knows that the answer to "where's the baby?" is to point to my belly, I kind of have a feeling he won't know until her arrival just how rocked his world will be.  But that's ok.  He'll be smitten too.  I think we all will be.

I am feeling a little tired these days.  But it's a contented tired, an overjoyed tired.  Maybe it's because I go to bed too late due to nighttime nesting in baby girl's room, or just sitting there dreaming.  Or maybe because I keep waking up in the middle of the night from vigorous baby kicks and then am too anxiously excited to go back to sleep.  It's not for lack of pillows that much is certain!  (I am not entirely sure how or when we amassed a total of eight pillows on our bed, but I use at least four to build a pillow fortress so I can sleep in some sort of temporary comfort at night.  And even with a king sized bed, there is barely room for the two of us now.  Or should I say three?)

And our baby girl sure is a busy little thing--strong and active.  I can tell we are going to have another little whirlwind on our hands.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  It seems both of her parents are in perpetual motion of some sort, so she comes by it honestly!  

These days as I look down at this belly, starting to fill out and get all round, and feel the heavy thumps from the inside, I feel pretty wonderful, despite being a bit tired.  Sometimes I want to just pull the string on life and fast forward in time through this the waiting game to meet her, but isn't there just something special about carrying new life?  The hope, the promise, the anticipation...?  Today, I've decided that I am content with this restlessness, the discomfort, the thumps and flutters, the building of excitement for her arrival in ten weeks.  Baby girl, come when you're ready.  We can wait and we can't.


You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment