Friday, August 23, 2013

Goodbye Ocean. Goodbye Friends.


As we enter our final stages of preparations to leave our beloved home, the reality of it is not quite hitting me.  Yesterday we went down to our favorite Squamish spot--Nexen Beach to say goodbye to the ocean for a little while.  (Being in Toronto means we will be a bit land-locked).  And our final wave goodbye was met with a sigh and a little sink of my heart and Jordan's too.

The hazy, ethereal overexposed nature of some of the photos my husband captured today are a bit reflective of the process we are going through in leaving here--surreal.  Despite boxes and endless goodbyes (the visits that end with "we'll see each other ONE more time before you go.") and the flutter of anxiety in the pit of my stomach, I still feel a bit in denial, like I am in a fog of unreality as if my head and my body are not connected.  The thought that surely this cannot be us moving from our home across the country and leaving our life and friends here behind?!


I'm not naive.  The next couple of months will certainly be tough, I'm sure and I will most definitely miss not only the beauty of this place and our little home but the closeness with which I have come to some pretty amazing people.   But I have hope--the belief that this is the best choice for our family, the assurance of adventures, of new and renewed friendships, and the hope that at the very least we will return for a visit one day.  In the meantime, our friends, you know you will, as always, have a place in our home should you come to visit--that will never change. 


Goodbye ocean.  Goodbye friends.

You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment