Monday, August 25, 2014

The Ex


When my inlaws were growing up in Toronto, the Exhibition was the big summer event that everyone looked forward too all year long.  Not to be confused with your ordinary exhibition, the one in Toronto is truly spectacular.  I'm not sure if Torontarians take it for granted or not, but there is a lot going on for the couple of weeks that it is open.  It's not just rides and cotton candy, although the rides themselves are some of the biggest (and scariest) that I have ever seen.  There is a whole building dedicated to art and another to food.  Don't be tempted by the plethora of food trucks outside.  The food building is really where you want to head for some interesting and delicious treats--not your ordinary fare, things like cocoa-fried chicken with chocolate ketchup (which may sound strange but is actually amazing) or last year's disastrous cronut burger (a cross between a croissant and a doughnut with a maple-bacon jam smothering a hamburger patty in the middle) which made a plethora of people sick.  

When my friend, Victoria asked us if we wanted to go, I wasn't quite sure.  Hot and crowded and enough junk food to rev up a two-year old into a small tornado.  But, as it turns out, it was busy, but not as packed as I thought the morning we went and they have a whole kiddie section, devoted to small children!  I was happy to find out that Gabriel was tall enough for at least half of the rides.  Gabriel was delighted by the train that went around in a small circle, the trucks, the motorbikes that did the same.  He hung on with such focused intensity, it was really adorable.  All the while, staring at the big roller-coaster next to the other rides.  

Once our friends showed up, Tatiana, his best friend, brought a whole new level of excitement.  The two of them started running and squealing.  Tatiana's laughter is certainly contagious.  The horse carousel was one of the big favorites.  The two friends were hilarious to watch as they shrieked and laughed while they bobbed up and down on the carousel.   Our babies mostly slept on and off throughout the day (which is why there are not really any pictures of them) and Gabriel surprised me and slept for a long time in the stroller, which allowed us to enjoy more of the day there.  It feels like we spent most of the day trotting back and forth to washrooms for diaper changes or trying to find quiet places to nurse, but such is life with so many babies between us all.

But despite that, we got a bunch of rides in and even got to try out the roller-coaster!  Both Gabriel and Tatiana nearly backed out a couple of times, but when they saw that each other was going, they wanted to go on afterall.  And once they were in, they LOVED it!  And wanted to go again.  Gabriel clung on, his little knuckles turning white, and me with my arm around him, a tiny bit terrified.  Did I really bring my two-year-old on this rickety roller-coaster?!!?!?  But after he got off, he started talking and talking in his speedy-not-really-words-toddler-language, his arms flying around in the air in the shape of a big figure eight.  I think it left an impression.  What can I tell you, I knew Gabriel would be a bit of an adrenaline junkie from the moment I felt that first kick inside of me.
 

And so marks nearly the end of summer.  Sadly.  And soon September, the beginning of nursery school and new routines and fall leaves and apple picking shortly.  Is it just me or was this summer WAYYYYY too short?

You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment