Thursday, September 19, 2013

Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day.


A-hoy matey!  Ok, so anyone with kids needs to know about "Talk Like A Pirate Day," especially if you are into pirates or have a little one that is.  Somehow very early on, pirates became a theme on our house (there may be some grandparent influence here).  Maybe you remember the "Baby Pirate" themed 1st birthday party we had for Gabriel? 

Anyway, apparently "Talk like a Pirate Day" is a real thing.  You can read more about it here or watch a silly out of tune song video here.

This year, despite having a heads up, we were a little slow on the ball getting things organized.  But we still celebrated!!  Gabriel wore his little striped shirt, his pirate hat and sword and sailed in his rocking boat.  And we got a little card in the mail in celebration of the day which I read aloud in my best pirate voice.  We even have a pirate song for Gabriel, written by Fizey which we sing almost every night before bed and a book called "Pirate Gran" by Geraldine Durrant.  So you can see we are pretty serious!


Hoping to keep the tradition alive and celebrate each year on Sept 19th (yesterday). And I guess if were are going to make this legit.... I'll have to find myself a cutlass and learn how to make a crocodile Dundee cake.

Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day to ya!


“Potter-Davey’s Privateers”
By Stephen Strople
With thanks from: Stan Rogers, “Barrett’s Privateers”
The year was two thousand and twelve,
I think I was in Squamish then.
When a letter of marque
Came from the stork
And the first little pirate did spring forth.
Ahoy-matey! I am told,
We’ll cruise the seas for American gold.
We’ll fire no guns, shed no tears.
Now, I’m a baby pirate, tender in years—
The first of Potter-Davey’s privateers.
Now here I sit in my very first year.
I think I am in Washington.
But what it won’t be long ‘fore I sail away
In my blue rocking dory from Maine, olay!
Ahoy-matey! I am told,
We’ll cruise the seas for American gold.
We’ll fire no guns, shed no tears.
Now, I’m a baby pirate, tender in years—
The first of Potter-Davey’s privateers.


You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment