Sunday, November 1, 2015

Spooky!


Happy Belated Halloween!!!  This has just been an insane time of year but we did get into some fun with the littles gearing up for Halloween.  We popped out and got ourselves a PUMPKIN family.  We named them all Daddy Pumpkin, Mommy Pumpkin, Gabriel Pumpkin, Magdalene Pumpkin.  You can see here that Gabriel is standing on my head.  What else is new?? 

They loved the whole idea of a pumpkin family and set about chucking them in the front yard.  Oops!  Sorry Maggie pumpkin!  They got a great laugh out of talking to their pumpkins.  Oh the imaginations!  


Under Daddy's supervision and direction, we carved the pumpkins the other night.  Admittedly, Halloween is not really my thing, but as a Dad, Jordan is finding his artistic side and taking on all sorts of these things, from creating dinosaurs out of watermelon, Lightening McQueen out of playdoh, a Paw Patrol lookout out of a few boxes of Raisin Bran and an empty roll of paper towel.  And he says he can't even draw his own name.  What do they say about children?  That they stretch you?

The littles have been pretty excited this year.  They have been talking about ghosts and pretending to be ghosts.  Magdalene's phrase of the past three weeks has been "Ohhhhhh!!!  Ghost!!!!  Scarrrry! Spooky"  And she does a mock shiver.  If I get a chance I hope to catch a little video of it to share with you.


They had so much fun digging around in the goopy pumpkins.  I do have a couple of cute videos of them that I will put up SOMEDAY.


And because celebrations are better spent with friends, we had our good friends Victoria, Jason and their littles over for chili and shinanigans.   Always drama and chaos and excitement here.  Although I won't go into great detail here....  Let's just say, when it's too quiet, something bad is going down.  A mother always knows.


We dressed up the table and had wine and at least pretended it was a sophisticated event.  Even if it really wasn't.



Finally it was a nice warm Halloween night and no rain.  The kids went totally nuts running from door to door with the realization that, yes, they actually got to ask for candy and get it from neighbors.  Today Gabriel said, "I know!!!!  Let's go trick or treat!!!  And get some candy."  Sadly, it doesn't work that way buddy.  Once a year.  But they were very polite.


It took me three weeks of looking around and taking Gabriel to various costume stores before I convinced him (after a number of complete and utter meltdowns) it just wasn't possible to be Lightening McQueen (the racecar) for Halloween.  I'm pretty sure that there is likely some way to make a costume, but admittedly I don't have it in me this year.  I'm apparently not the crafty one in the house.  Everyone knows if you want to build something, ask Dad.

And while we are on the topic of being "stretched" I would just like to mention that Daylight Savings.... is the worst invention ever.  After all that sugar and craziness, we got to wake up at 4:30 (Yes, thank you!)  to overtired and hungry (because they were too excited to actually eat a proper supper last night) toddlers.... 

But, you know, watching them run around so excited and spending time with friends celebrating is really making me start to like Halloween again.  I've really got to get my game on in the costume department for next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment