Monday, May 18, 2015

Rock Throwing and Dandelion Blowing.


May long weekends are always busy, so this year we mostly opted to stay home except for one big adventure to Toronto Island.  Instead we went for walks by the river, threw rocks (which we haven't done in a long time) and meandered down the trail slowing, stopping to pick handfuls of dandelions and blow the fluff off them.

The look on Gabriel's face and the level of enthusiasm for seeing the river after so long, was uncontainable.  He frantically went from rock to rock launching them with great gusto into the river for the dog.  He kept waded in deeper than he should, giggling and laughing.  I love how the simple things really get him excited.  The water and rock throwing is better than any icecream cone or tv show.  It's some sort of natural high for him, without the dreaded sugar crash afterwards.

Magdalene was all about the flowers.  I know, I know. Dandelions are weeds.  But for some reason I still kind of like them.  The city of Toronto and the the parks decided years ago to stop spraying to get rid of the dandelions.  Instead the let them grow unfettered along the sides of roads and in the baseball diamonds.  For some reason the bright yellow just seems so much cheerier to me and I don't have to worry about the kids running around inhaling pesticides, which makes me feel better.  And when the yellow flowers have all turned white, it's magic for toddlers, blowing dandelion fluff into the wind. 

I really think that was the best part of the whole weekend--just doing the natural things we often like to do.  Yes, we did other things, but this was my favorite part.  Nothing fancy.  Just simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment