Friday, August 3, 2012

My Life, Pureed.



At first I was in denial.  My son loves Baby Led Weaning--that is giving him a soft fruit or veggie that he can mush into his ear, the chair, the floor, the dog's fur.  Then one day, I found myself sitting at the table that was littered in dish towels and wet cloths, my hands were sticky and he was sticky.  I was frustrated and wanted to cry.  He was crying.  And hungry. It was going to take me half an hour to clean up this mess once he went to sleep.   I gave up.  I bought a baby bullet.  I have since ventured into the world of the "dreaded puree." 

Funny thing is, I love it.  Wildly adventurous me, each day is a challenge: try a new blend.  Each one combined with either banana or avocado (or sometimes both) as the "base."  I never knew zucchini or sweet potatoes could taste so good!  I've determined, EVERYTHING is better with avocado.  Naturally, I try everything that Gabriel eats.  I won't give him something I don't like. 

Fun combinations:
Zucchini, Banana, Avocado
Sweet potato, broccoli, avocado
Plum, pear, apple, avocado
Blueberry, apple, avocado

Gabriel looks at this oddly coloured puree like it's a decadent chocolate cake--eyes wide open, tongue out, drool down his chin.  He leans forward, smacking his lips, making emphatic "Ummmmmm" sounds.  I think it's the avocado. 

And look at this.  The nutritional value of an Avocado (thanks to Wikipedia).

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 670 kJ (160 kcal)
Carbohydrates 8.53 g
- Sugars 0.66 g
- Dietary fiber 6.7 g
Fat 14.66 g
- saturated 2.13 g
- monounsaturated 9.80 g
- polyunsaturated 1.82 g
Protein 2 g
Water 73.23 g
Thiamine (vit. B1) 0.067 mg (6%)
Riboflavin (vit. B2) 0.130 mg (11%)
Niacin (vit. B3) 1.738 mg (12%)
Pantothenic acid (B5) 1.389 mg (28%)
Vitamin B6 0.257 mg (20%)
Folate (vit. B9) 81 μg (20%)
Vitamin C 10 mg (12%)
Vitamin E 2.07 mg (14%)
Vitamin K 21 μg (20%)
Calcium 12 mg (1%)
Iron 0.55 mg (4%)
Magnesium 29 mg (8%)
Phosphorus 52 mg (7%)
Potassium 485 mg (10%)
Zinc 0.64 mg (7%)
Percentages are relative to
US recommendations for adults.
Source: USDA Nutrient Databas

It's basically a superfood.  And best of all, any veggie or fruit can be hidden amongst avocado, and suddenly, it tastes amazing.  Really.  It does.  You should try it.  Really, avocado is a metaphor for the small joys of every day life--chocolate, wine, a latte, a walk to the park, wearing your favorite shoes, a trip to Ikea, a telephone call, a visit, a favorite television program, a photograph, something you read, a cuddle.  These are the moments that get us through when things go sideways: your baby is screaming, you have run out of diapers or groceries, a guy cuts you off on the highway, you know, the every day "mini disasters." Avocados are the silver lining.     



1 comment:

  1. We are big avacado eaters in our house. They are remarkably versatile - I've even eaten raw chocolate cheesecake, where the avacados replaced the cream cheese. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete